My blog has been sorely neglected this past semester, partly because of Twitter and mostly because of the obscene amount of work I have had to complete to finish my last semester as an undergrad. Yes, graduation is upon us. I will graduate on Saturday the 15th and I really have no idea where the past two years have gone. Since these are my last few days as an undergrad, I figured I would list some of the things I have learned throughout the past four years. I partly owe the idea of this to Tori as she posted a similar entry about what she learned in her freshman year. Some of these are from my commuting days and others are from the past two years where I’ve lived on campus.
1. Driving in rush hour traffic sucks.
2. Never park in the main parking lot at my community college. It will take 20 minutes to leave said parking lot.
3. Always have a spare umbrella.
4. No matter how far apart your classes are, it is never worth it to drive home in between them.
5. When gas prices start going upwards of $4 a gallon, it is time to transfer to a school where you can live on campus.
6. Driving with a Uhaul on the Thruway is an experience not like any other.
7. Packing said Uhaul, driving a half hour, and then realizing you’ve forgotten something is most definitely a family bonding exercise.
8. Textbooks will drain your wallet faster than gas for your car.
9. Never buy textbooks at the campus bookstore.
10. Half the time you will not even use your textbooks.
11. If there is a dumpster outside your window, invest in some ear plugs. Said dumpster will be emptied at 6am.
12. 3am fire drills on your second night in the dorms will be something to complain about the next day and laugh about for the next two years.
13. It will be 90 degrees on move-in day and 15 degrees and snowy on move-out day.
14. Invest in a fan.
15. Dining hall food gets old after the first two weeks.
16. Do not eat more than one slice of pizza at the college fast food joint in one sitting.
17. Whipped cream is fun for eating straight out of the can and spraying at your roommates.
18. Never take an 8am class.
19. Teachers swear and tell you about their personal lives. This is more interesting than their lectures.
20. The best time to do laundry in the dorms is early Monday afternoon when everyone is in class.
21. It IS possible to burn soup. And frozen veggies.
22. Subway is your best friend after you run out of money on your meal plan.
23. Writing a 2 page paper is nothing. And one can be cranked out in less than a half hour.
24. Good ratings on Rate my Professor do not necessarily mean the teacher is good.
25. Professors get the best parking spots.
26. Dorm Wi-Fi is slow at best and nonexistent at worst.
27. The same class taught by two different professors can be like two completely different classes.
28. Facebook is the ultimate distractor.
29. Breakfast before morning class just does not happen.
30. Having your computer break two weeks before the end of the semester with all of your final papers on it is equivalent to the world ending.
I’ve seen a lot in college and the past two years especially have been amazing. I’ve made the best friends ever and had a ton of fun. We’ve laughed, we’ve cried, we’ve seen a guy pee on the RA’s door. Crazy, fun, and I kind of wish it wasn’t ending. But hey, I’m not done yet. Off to grad school next year!
Filed under: Remember When?, The Daily Grind, the humor of life | 3 Comments »